Saturday, April 13, 2013

How to: Wash Your Makeup Brushes


Ok ladies, when was the last time you washed your makeup brushes? Never? Maybe once? 

It's recommended to wash them about once a week. That may seem like a chore, but I'll show you how easy and cheap it is here! 

Why would you need to clean your makeup brushes? Think about all the bacteria on your face and where you store your makeup brushes. If you rub all that bacteria, dirt, and oil into your poor pores (HA!) everyday, you aren't doing your skin any favors. 

Let's start with the soap. There are a lot of brush cleansers on the market: MAC and Elf both make some that I've used. But Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo works just fine and it's affordable and easy to get your hands on! 


Choose your brush you want to wash. I don't wash all my brushes every time, just the ones I use every day. 

Put a nickel sized amount in your hand and softly rub the brush bristles into the soap. Slowly incorporate water and rinse out the soap. The temperature of the water doesn't matter, but I usually use warm because it's most comfortable.

By the way, this was super hard to photograph so sorry for that...


The main tip I have is not to get water into the area shown below as the "no no zone".  The "ferrule" as it's called has glue in it to hold the brush and the metal part (ferrule) together. If you get it wet, over time it will wear down and the brush won't last as long.


Then lay your brushes out to dry flat on a towel. I tend to wash at night and by morning, they are ready to be used! 


If you'd like to see a video to get a better idea, see this tutorial from Amarixe, one of my favorite bloggers and where I learned to just use baby shampoo. Check it out! 

Thanks for reading and happy cleaning! 


No comments:

Post a Comment