Monday, January 7, 2013

Best of 2012


Wowewow. I cannot believe it's another year. I accomplished a lot this past year and went through plenty of change. I hope to keep this blog growing, so please share with friends!

Anyway... let's get onto my picks for the best beauty products of 2012!



Best foundation: Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich


You can see it does have a sheen to it. And yes, it does match my face better than my arm.
So this foundation was introduced to me when I got a makeover at the Bobbi Brown counter. I know, I know, how fancy am I?! It's a medium coverage foundation that blends really well. It's a nice thickness and leaves a dewy finish on the skin. It's good for my skin type (dry in the winter and normal all other times of the year aka the better seasons). A very close second to this is the Chanel Vita Lumiere Aqua, which is a lighter coverage. Check out my post on foundations if you are at all interested! 

Best blush: Tarte Amazonian Clay in Dollface

 

This is a vibrant, bubble gum pink color that would look good on a lot of different skin tones. The Amazonian Clay line from Tarte is natural and long-wearing. Really long-wearing. I didn't notice my other blushes didn't last long until I used this. Love the color, texture, and the staying power. This is the mini size (about the size of a half dollar) that came in a gift set and I can't wait to purchase different colors ("Exposed" is the one I have my eye on).

Best concealer: Bobbi Brown Corrector


Ok - it's not really a concealer for me, but who cares. This is a peach toned corrector for the under-eye area to cancel out darkness and purple, brown tones. Hot dog! This is an absolute staple for me (especially for early mornings after late nights). I have gone through this one pretty fast, but I will definitely be repurchasing this.

Best palette: Urban Decay Naked Palette

      

Enter the Urban Decay Naked palette. This has been a staple in my collection since I picked it up this summer. Since it had a steeper price tag ($50), I considered it for a while. That was kind of a waste of time. I knew deep down I'd use all of these shades because it's easy to wear, neutral, and travel friendly. (It also came with a synthetic brush and a mini primer potion which were both fine, but not great)
Here are my most used shades: Sin (top), Sidecar (middle), Hustle (bottom)
  

Best single eyeshadow: MAC All That Glitters

 

This is a shade I feel that will always be in my collection. I've had it for probably 9 months and use it most days. It's a great color to sweep all over the lid, add some mascara, and you have a quick natural eye look. It has more dimension than most gold-toned, shimmery eye shadows on the market. I just laaaave it. 
P.S. I realize in the picture it looks similar to Sin from the Naked palette. ATG is more gold, while Sin is more pink. 

Best cream shadows: MAC Bare Study Paint Pot & Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in Birthday Suit (yeah there are 2. so sue me)



So Bare Study was one of those that I thought about for a long time. Here was my thinking: 1. I really like Benefit cream shadows, why change a good thing? 2. It's such a light color, would it even make a difference? 3. Do I even like cream shadows? 

Then I finally bit the bullet and got it. All those reasons were just excuses to not give MAC anymore of my money. It's freakin' amazing. The color is perfect for my light skin tone, just a shimmery pink. Serves as a great base for shadows. And yes, I do like cream shadows. I might even say I love them, but I don't want to move too fast. 



Benefit's Birthday Suit is a beautiful shimmery gold color. Are you beginning to understand that I like neutrals? This is a really easy shadow to throw on and be done with the eyes. It is less smooth than MAC, but I think it stays on longer. I've had it for a while and it's starting to dry out, that's why it looks weird and cracked on the edges. :(


Here are both the cream shadows (L Bare Study, R Birthday Suit). Side by side, there is a difference in the colors, but yes, they are still neutrals. 

Best brow product: Benefit Instant Brow


I was introduced to this when I got my free birthday eyebrow wax at Ulta (which is awesome by the way). I have always struggled with what to do with my brows. They are light, hold a pretty good shape, but are sparse. This is a waxy product that you run through your brows using short, light strokes. It gives the right amount of color for me and the wax keeps them in place. An awesome product for beginners and I will repurchase this for sure! 

Best lipstick: Revlon's Sassy Mauve


Since I have naturally pinker lips than most, I can't wear a lot of nude shades and some shades just do not show up on me. First world problem fo sho. This is not one of those shades. It's the definition of  "your lips but better" and is just moisturizing enough to 1. not dry out the lips and 2. not slip right off. It's a perfect color for me and therefore, Revlon will continue to get my money. And I love the name of the shade.

Best lip product #2: Revlon Lip Butter in Sugar Plum



Another one of the shades that looks good on me - I couldn't pick just one. This is extremely moisturizing and I don't even need a mirror to apply it. What?! I know. Honestly, I just love all of the Lip Butter colors. I have...6. At least they are cheap!

Best lip treatment: Korres Lip Butter in Jasmine



I did a blog post about these here so I won't go into it, other than to say you need a lip butter in your life.

Best nail polish: Essie Demure Vix

             


What a neat color this is! Or should I say colorS! HA! Ok but really, this is perfection in a bottle. Dramatic I know, but you'll get used to it. This is a taupe/brown/gray with a purple/pink/blue iridescence. It's been my fall/winter go-to color, and works great with any outfit for any occasion.

Best eyeliner : Loreal Lineur Intense 

Sorry, bad picture. Just trying to show the brush tip. mehhh

This. This is good. I'm not the best at applying liquid eyeliner, but I like the look of it. What a sad life I live. But, alas, the brush tip arrived. It makes it much more manageable (still can get annoying) but this has become my everyday eyeliner. Who woulda thunk a girl like me could do it?! Well. I can.

Best finishing product: Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray


This is not a product I need, but it is certainly one that I like. I use this when I know it will be a busy day or for nights out. It "seals" in your makeup by some magic that is a fine mist over your face. When I'm done applying my makeup, I spritz about 3 pumps onto my face and that's it! I don't use powder in the winter so this works great as a setting product. 

_________________________________________________________________


Whew! 


Let me know in the comments your favorite product of 2012! Also if there are any posts you'd like to see in 2013, that is helpful too.


No comments:

Post a Comment